Saturday, December 17, 2011

SUPA' FLY!

On a impulse, I purchased a 2009 Gary Fisher Superfly frame to build as a geared bike (thanks for the deal Kelly).  Picked up the frame Thursday after work and had it built up and test ridden (up the street) that evening.  Amazingly, the 'magic gear' for this bike is my normal gearing of 32:20.  Took it for it's first ride today (Sat.) for `22 miles of tight, twisty single track (in Holly Springs) and it rides amazing!  You can really feel how light the bike is when kicking it sideways to avoid a slippery root or going over logs etc.  Still, I probably will sell the frame.
 1. The top tube is ~1" to long.
2. The stand over is ~1" to high.
3. The bike is so light, I am afraid to jump it, drop it etc.
4. I need to purchase a new rack as I cannot clamp the frame with my current rack.
5. I am not good enough to ride such a lightweight, fast rocket of a bike.
Still, it is one sweet ride.

I did get word that the Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er frame will be here in 2-3 weeks, so hopefully that will work out as it can be run geared or SS (so what if it is 1.5 lbs heavier) :(


UPDATE: Sold the Supa' Fly two weeks later.  Sold the Dillinger as well...now I am all Niner all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment