Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dillon Bikes Review

Over the last few months I had heard of a guy starting up a bike shop out of his garage here in Fuquay, "Dillon Bikes."  Even though I do most of my own work, I thought it was cool that there would be a shop so close to where I live (between my work and home) in case I needed anything.  I had run into the owner, Matt Dillon a few times over the last couple months, at a trail, a road ride and a movie, but never introduced myself yet I was hoping an opportunity would arise to go check out shop and eventually it did.
When I decided to pick up a new (used) frame on ebay, I called a couple places to see what they would charge for labor to swap my headset and crown race from my old frame/fork to the new.  $30 was the quote from a couple of shops and so in communication with Matt, he agreed to the same price, saying he would always match other shops quotes (cool).  Unfortunately, there was a delay in my frame being shipping (there goes that guys 5 star ebay rating) so I was glad that Matt was willing to make himself available in about a two hour window of time on Friday late afternoon when my frame finally arrived.  Turns out he was squeezing me in between getting home from work and taking his wife out to dinner.

Here is a shot of my garage/bike shop...
Fortunately, Dillon's looks nothing like this. :)
Dillon Bikes itself is run out of Matt's garage, and I must say that I was pretty impressed with his shop.  Everything was neat, clean and orderly which was confidence inspiring.  I also noticed he had a couple bikes parked in a rack with service tags on them so it was good to know I am not the only customer. :)
I found Matt to be very friendly, personable and professional.  He had no problem with the headset, and though he did not have the fancy tool for the crown race, he had the know-how to remove it and install it in a careful manner that was impressive.  In my limited experience: the Cycle Surgeon is great, as is Jason @ All-Star and Hormis (who always made me feel like a pro) @ Flythe.  Still, Dillon bikes fills a niche in the southern end of Wake/Northern Harnett where there are few to no options other than driving 30-40 miles round trip for your bike.  I definitely recommend him and will be using Dillon Bikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment