Tuesday, May 29, 2012

2012 Burn 24

Another amazing Event!
The Scene driving in to the Burn 24, Nice!
There I am, white shirt and cap
 I am Burnt!  After completing the race as a 3-4 person team two years ago, then solo last year, this year I was talked into a Duo with Jeff D.  It seemed like a good pairing as we took 1st and 2nd in the Masters solo class last year.  Only problem: there is no Masters duo class, just open duo, but hey, we were in this just to have fun and to see how many laps we could turn.  We decided on each riding a lap to start, then alternating every two laps.
Jeff setting a fast pace.
We started out fast…too fast.  Before the race, I guestimated on Jeff pulling 50-53 minute laps and me pulling 55-58 minute laps.  Wrong!  My first lap was ~43., then my next two were ~45 and 49.  After I nearly died on the Lemans start, Jeff pulled the first (shortened) lap then on his rotation pulled ~44, 47 then ~49 and 49.  Every time one of us would ride by, the other would yell out, “Your going to fast!” or “Slow it down!”. It was not until half way through the race when we settled into the more comfortable pace in the low to high 50’s.  Unfortunately for me, the early pace was taking it’s toll on my legs.  My 2nd lap was becoming consistently 3-6 minutes longer than my first lap,  I was able to stave off cramping my first lap, but each 2nd lap the cramps came early and often.  On my last lap, I experienced something I had not felt since my first ever event (2009 JMM), debilitating cramps.  My right leg locked up so bad I fell over on the bike, screamed in agony (always one for the dramatics) as I attempted to get up, and could not even walk it out. This sucked!  One thing I have always prided myself on is not stopping.  I have seen guys pull 90 minute+ laps on this course…something you can only do if you stop (or ride gears). ;)  I knew that if I can keep moving, even with no strength, my slowest lap would be ~1:10.  Luckily, after what seemed like too long, I was able to get back on the bike.  I took a few rotations and felt o.k., then BAM! The other leg cramps up.  Luckily, I was able to fight them off and keep moving and I finally got to the final bombing downhill.  That last lap took me 1:03, ~9 minutes longer than the previous lap.  I was spent.  I was so glad it was Jeff’s turn as I did not want to do another lap, even though I knew deep inside I could, and would…if I had to, luckily, I did not. The team in 3rd was only 23 minutes behind us after my 2nd to last lap.  If they continued, and I did not go out for another lap, they would catch us.  I stood at the transfer area waiting to see a bike with #72 twist tied to the front, forcing me to go out for another lap.  Then it happened.  An attractive woman next to me had apparently had enough of the heat.  She pulled off her tank top (in what I swear was slow motion) to reveal a string bikini top underneath.  As several of us watched her walk away, I probably gazed a little to long and hard, but then caught something in the corner of my eye.  She had just walked past a bike with #72, sitting under the Trek tent.
TFKT Crew 2nd!  Whodathunkit???


My gaze shifted to the bike and I began to walk over toward it.  THANK GOD!  There was a 2nd bike with #72 sitting next to it.  They were not out riding.  I saw some guys sitting there and introduced myself.  The were done and showered…said they could not even sit on the bike…I know the feeling.  So, we had 2nd locked up and I ended up showering, breaking down my tent and nearly completing getting packed up all in the time it took Jeff to cruise in on a 51 minute final lap.
Another great Burn24 and a nice way to finish off my events here in NC as I now look ahead to my inevitable move to NorCal.


My laps: 2,5-6, 9-10, 13-14, 17-18, 21-22, 25-26.
 Some notes worth mentioning:
I did lose my lunch (or Infinite anyway) on the trail (only once), but did not loose it after the post race meal (unlike last year).
I actually pulled in the faster lap.  Sure, we all know Jeff is faster than me, and this played a role in my early cramping issues (that and the heat), which eventually led to me pulling the slowest lap, but hey, let’s focus on the positive.



Yes, this guy podiumed...again!

Laura representing the Triad.

Finally met Mrs BikeTriad herself, Laura Mulchahy.

It was nice to meet her, her husband and a crew from G’bro H’ing The F.U. & getting it done. ;)


Picked up a nice pit spot next to Kip, Alex, Stranix and crew.  They blew away the 40+ 3-5 person male team.  Congrats to them, Mike and Andy for their podium finish (coed due) and all other Trianglites who showed up to represent.  Congrats!  Finally, big thanks to Jeff for being one heck of a partner.  Not only did he consistantly ride fast laps, his encouragement and his food that I ate when he was out riding, really kept me going.  Thanks Jeff!




Mike and Andy (right) on the Podium again!



Thanks to BikeTriad, Andy, Mike & LumenTrek for the pics.

2 comments:

  1. Pleasure to finally meet you too James. And now you are leaving. :-( You forgot to add this picture we took.... you were looking all happy and strong here. Let's call this the Before picture. :-)
    http://cspaced.smugmug.com/BikeTriadcom/Burn-24-2012/23219536_PzF7dK#!i=1871981342&k=nbTWVpF&lb=1&s=A

    I am hoping to get that GSO ride going before you leave. Looking at Sat 6/23 or Sun 6/24. Either of those days work for you? (Assuming the weather works out and they don't shut down our trails for rain of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to finally meet you also Laura (and your G'bro crew). I just added one of the pics you took (in a self-aggrandizing manner, of course), thanks for (you and hubby) taking so many pics, I am sure people really appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, don't plan on me for a ride. Because I leave on a truck (pulling my Subaru) in less than a month, I may not have as much time to ride as I would like. If you plan one, I would like to make it (and would try), but it would be a long-shot. I still have an entire house to pack, a route to plan and I may be flying back to CA on a moments notice to look at a house and/or to interview...all in the next month. Yikes, I suddenly felt I minor panic attack. I had better get started packing!

    ReplyDelete